Gary S. Sachs, MD
Dr. Sachs founded the Bipolar Clinic and Research Program at Massachusetts General Hospital and is co-PI of BALANCE, a multinational study of maintenance treatments for bipolar disorder. In addition, he was PI of the NIMH Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD). His research interests include psychopharmacology, chronobiology, clinical trial methodology and recurrent mood disorders.
- Gary S. Sachs M.D., Director, Bipolar Clinic and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital; Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- MD, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Sachs GS. Bipolar disorder clinical synthesis: Where does the evidence lead? Focus. 2007;5:3—13.
- Sachs GS, Nierenberg AA, Calabrese JR, et al. Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant Treatment for bipolar depression. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:1711—1722.
- Sachs GS. A review of agitation in mental illness: burden of illness and underlying pathology. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006;67(Suppl 10):5—12. Wang PW, Sachs GS, Zarate CA, et al. Overweight and obesity in bipolar disorders. J Psychiatric Res. 2006;40:762—764.
- Zhang H, Wisniewski SR, Bauer MS, Sachs GS, Thase ME. Comparisons of perceived quality of life across clinical states in bipolar disorder: data from the first 2000 Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD) participants. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2006;47:161—168.
- "You Should Be a Psychiatrist"
- A Circle of Colleagues
- A Willingness to Adjust
- Beware of Anti-Mentors
- Check Your Protocol Charts
- Common Sense Can Be Wrong
- Mentors, Goals, and Early Publications
- Organizing STEP-BD
- Recruitment in STEP-BD
- The Dawn of the Psycho-pharm Era
- The Hardest Year of My Life
- Untapped Opportunities
- Work on Preliminary Data