Howard Abikoff, PhD
Much of Dr. Abikoff's work has centered on developing and evaluating treatment of children with ADHD and conduct disorder. Dr. Abikoff developed the Abikoff Classroom Observation Code with Dr. Rachel Klein. A revision of the State University of New York at Stony Brook code, the Abikoff COC remains a standard measure of hyperactivity in children. He has been involved in research examining the efficacy of behavioral and parenting interventions in improving the organizational skills of children with ADHD.
- Pevaroff Cohn Professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
- Director, Institute for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity and Behavior Disorders, New York University Child Study Center, New York, NY
- Scientific Advisor, New York University Summer Program for Kids
- PhD, Adelphi University, Psychology
- Molina, B., Hinshaw, S. P., Arnold, L. E., Swanson, J. M., Pelham, W. E., Hechtman, L.,...Marcus, S. (2013). Adolescent substance use in the multimodal treatment study of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)(MTA) as a function of childhood ADHD, random assignment to childhood treatments, and subsequent medication. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 52(3), 250-263.
- Riddle, M. A., Yershova, K., Lazzaretto, D., Paykina, N., Yenokyan, G., Greenhill, L., Abikoff, H.,...Posner, K. (2013). The preschool attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder treatment study (PATS) 6-year follow up. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 52(3), 264-278.
- Vitiello, B., Elliott, G. R., Swanson, J. M., Arnold, L. E., Hechtman, L., Abikoff, H.,...Gibbons, R. (2012). Blood pressure and heart rate over 10 years in the multimodal treatment study of children with ADHD. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 169(2), 167-177.
- Mikami, A., Hinshaw, S. P., Arnold, L. E., Hoza, B., Hechtman, L., Newcorn, J. H., & Abikoff, H. (2010). Bulimia nervosa symptoms in the multimodal treatment study of children with ADHD. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 43(3), 248-259.
- Solanto, M. V., Marks, D. J., Wasserstein, J., Mitchell, K., Abikoff, H., Alvir, J., & Kofman, M. D. (2010). Efficacy of meta-cognitive therapy for adult ADHD. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 167(8), 958-968.
- An Analog Task that Didn't Quite Work
- Analyzing Correlated Pairs
- Classroom Observations
- Collecting Observational Data
- Determining Clinical Significance
- Parent-Child Analog Tasks
- Real-life Assessments