Courtney Ferrell Aklin, PhD
Dr. Aklin's research interests include research practices and policy regarding autism. She has clinical experience working with children and adolescents at the Maryland Center for Anxiety Disorders and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in community, school, inpatient, and outpatient settings. Her current clinical work with the Behavior Therapy Center of Greater Washington focuses on social anxiety and other related anxiety disorders, depression, ADHD, and disruptive behavioral disorders. She also oversees several fellowship programs through the Office of Research Training and Career Development at the National Institute of Mental Health, including Individual, Neurodevelopmental, Psychosocial Stress and Related Disorders, and Affective Regulatory Disorders Fellowships.
- Program Director, Office of Special Programs in Diversity (OSPD), NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- PhD, University of Maryland at College Park, Clinical Psychology
- Ferrell, C.B. (in press). Re-engineering clinical research science: A focus on translational research. Behavior Modification. Retrieved from http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ821212&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ821212
- Ferrell, C.B. (in press). ADHD. In C. S. Clauss-Ehlers (Ed.). The Encyclopedia of Cross Cultural School Psychology. New York: Springer. Retrieved from http://www.springer.com/psychology/child+%26+school+psychology/book/978-0-387-71798-2
- Boyce, C. A., Heinssen, R., Ferrell, C. B., & Nakamura, R. K. (2007). Prospects for the prevention of mental illness: Integrating neuroscience and behavior. M. T. Tsuang, W. S. Stone, & M. J. Lyons (Eds.), Recognition and prevention of major mental and substance use disorders (pp. 241-261). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing.
- Ferrell, C. B., Beidel, D. C., & Turner, S. M. (2004). Assessment and treatment of socially phobic children: A cross cultural comparison. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 33(2), 260-268.
- Beidel, D. C., Yeganeh, R., Ferrell, C. B., & Alfano, C. (2004). Treatment of social anxiety disorder in children. In B. Bandelow & D. J. Stein (Eds.), Social Anxiety Disorder (pp. 315-334). New York: Marcel Dekker.
- Common Mistakes of Senior and Junior Researchers
- Design First, Budget Later
- Gaining Leadership Skills
- No More Silos
- Path to Public Policy
- Pre-doc Awards at NIH
- Send Us a Concept Paper First
- Understanding the NIH Funding Cycle