David J. Kupfer, MD
Dr. Kupfer's research has focused primarily on the conceptualization, diagnosis, and treatment of mood disorders. He has promoted widespread collaborations between clinical investigators in psychiatry and basic neurosciences, and the resulting studies encompass virtually every psychiatric disorder in every age group. Past research studies have focused on sleep disorders, mood and anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, depression and insomnia. He currently chairs the DSM-5 Task Force and leads the Career Development Institutes for Psychiatry and for Bipolar Disorder, both of which support scientists committed to a career in research.
- Thomas Detre Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
- Professor of Neuroscience and Clinical and Translational Science, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- MD, 1965, Yale University, Medicine
- Kupfer, D. J., Kuhl, E. A. & Wulsin, L. (2013). Psychiatry's integration with medicine: The role of DSM-5. Annual Review of Medicine, 64, 385-392.
- Kupfer, D. J. (2012) DSM field trials providing ample critical data. Psychiatry News, 47(9), 1a-28.
- Gibbons, R. D., Weiss, D. J., Pilkonis, P. A., Frank, E., Moore, T., Kim, J. B., & Kupfer, D. J. (2012) Development of a computerized adaptive test for depression. Archives of General Psychiatry, 69(11), 1104-1112.
- Kraemer, H. C., Kupfer, D. J., Clarke, D. E., Narrow, W. E., & Regier, D. A. (2012). DSM-5: How reliable is reliable enough? The American Journal of Psychiatry, 169(1), 13-15.
- Soreca, I., Levenson, J., Lotz, M. Frank, E. & Kupfer, D. J. (2012). Sleep apnea risk and clinical correlates in patients with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorders, 14(6), 672-676.
- A Costly Disorder
- Adhering to the DSM-5 When Writing Grants
- Career Development Institute for Bipolar Disorder
- Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously
- DSM-5 Is Not Your Parents' DSM
- Engaging a Senior Mentor
- Everything Plays out in the Budget
- Hiring Your Data Management Team
- Keep Learning Throughout Your Career
- Learn about People Management
- Learn How to Manage Money
- Mock Study Section
- Negotiation During Department Transition
- Psychosocial Issues in Bipolar Disorder
- Revising the DSM
- Selling Bipolar
- Somebody's Telling Me Something
- Take Advantage of Collaborative Opportunities
- The Process of Negotiating
- Thinking about the Benefit-Risk Ratio
- Web-Based Networking
- Why Disseminate via the Web?
- Work with People Brighter than You
- You Can't be the Lone Ranger Anymore