Peter Guarnaccia, PhD
Dr. Guarnaccia's research interests include cross-cultural patterns of psychiatric disorders, cultural competence in mental health organizations, and processes of cultural and health change among Latino immigrants. He was a member of the NIMH Task Force on Culture and Diagnosis which contributed cultural material and guidelines to DSM-IV and a member of the NIMH National Advisory Mental Health Council's Behavioral Science Workgroup recommending future directions for translating behavioral sciences research into public mental health outcomes. His current research examines mental health among Latino individuals in the U.S. and in Puerto Rico. He is working on the National Latino and Asian American Study funded by NIMH and based at the Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research at the Cambridge Health Alliance. He has also collaborated on several projects at the Behavioral Sciences Research Institute at the University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus.
- Professor, Department of Human Ecology, School of Environmental & Biological Sciences, Rutgers Univeristy
- Investigator, Institute for Health, Health Care Policy & Aging Research, Rutgers Univeristy
- PhD, 1984, University of Connecticut, Medical Anthropology
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1984-1986, Harvard Medical School, Clinically Applied Medical Anthropology
- Guarnaccia, P. J. (2009). Methodological challenges in research on the determinants of minority mental health and wellness. In S. Loue and M. Sajatovic (Eds.), Determinants of minority mental health and wellness (pp. 365-386). New York: Springer.
- Guarnaccia, P. J., Martinez Pincay, I., Alegria, M., Shrout, P. E., Lewis-Fernandez, R., & Canino, G. J. (2007). Assessing diversity among Latinos: Results from the NLAAS. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 29, 510-534.
- Martinez Pincay, I. E., & Guarnaccia, P. J. (2007). "It's like going through an earthquake": Anthropological perspectives on depression among Latino immigrants. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 9, 17-28.
- Guarnaccia, P. J., Martinez, I., Ramirez, R., & Canino, G. (2005). Are ataques de nervios in Puerto Rican children associated with psychiatric disorder? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 44, 1184-1192.
- Guarnaccia, P. J., Martinez, I., & Acosta, H. (2005). Mental health in the Hispanic immigrant community: An overview. Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Services, 3, 21-46.