Steven B. Pokorny, PhD
Dr. Pokorny's research focuses broadly on social policy issues relevant to preventing youth tobacco use and specifically on the individual, social, and environmental factors related to youth tobacco use. His current research includes a randomized trial with 24 communities in a longitudinal survey design to investigate the effects of tobacco control laws on tobacco use among underage youth.
- Director of Health Promotion, Florida Deptartment of Health, Alachua County Health Department, Gainesville, FL
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- PhD, 2000, DePaul University, Clinical Psychology with specialization in Community Psychology
- Werch, C.E., Bian, H., Carlson, J.M., Moore, M.J., Diclemente, C.C., Huang, I.C., ... Pokorny, S.B. (2011). Brief integrative multiple behavior intervention effects and mediators for adolescents. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 34(1), 3-12.
- Werch, C.E., Bian, H., Diclemente, C.C., Moore, M.J., Thombs, D., Ames, S.C., Huang, I.C., & Pokorny S. (2010). A brief image-based prevention intervention for adolescents. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24(1), 170-175.
- Jason, L.A., Pokorny, S.B., Adams, M., Nihls, A., Kim, H.Y., & Hunt, Y. (2009). Cracking down on youth tobacco may influence drug use. Journal of Community Psychology, 38, 1-15.
- Adams, M.A., Jason, L.A., Pokorny, S.B., & Hunt, Y. (2009). The impact of school policies on reducing youth tobacco use. Journal of School Health, 79, 17-23.
- Jason, L. A., Pokorny, S. B., Adams, M. L., Topliff , A., Harris, C. C., & Hunt, Y. (2009). Effects of youth tobacco access and possession policy interventions on heavy adolescent smokers. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 6, 1-9.