Marc Atkins, PhD
Dr. Atkins' research focuses on development of evidence-based mental health programs for children and families who live in urban, high-poverty communities. He is the director of psychology training for the Institute for Juvenile Research at the University of Illinois, Chicago, which provides advanced clinical and intervention/prevention training for researchers. Dr. Atkins has chaired several NIH peer review committees and serves on the editorial boards of journals in the field of child mental health. He is currently the Principal Investigator for an NIMH-funded R01 grant, Mental Health Services and Predictors of Learning in Urban Schools.
- Director, L.I.N.K.S. Center
- Professor of Psychology and Director of Psychology Training, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago
- PhD, 1985, Florida State University, Clinical Psychology
- Atkins, M. S., Frazier, S. L., Leathers, S. J., Graczyk, P. A., Talbott, E., Jakobsons, L., et al. (2008). Teacher key opinion leaders and mental health consultation in low-income urban schools. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76(5): 905-908.
- Frazier, S. L., Formoso, D., Birman, D., & Atkins, M. S. (2008). Closing the research to practice gap: Redefining feasibility. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 15(2): 125-129.
- Frazier, S. L., Cappella, E., & Atkins, M. S. (2007). Linking mental health and after school systems for children in urban poverty: Preventing problems, promoting possibilities. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 34(4): 389-399.
- Yeh, C., Kim, A. B., Pituc, S. T., Atkins, M. (2008). Poverty, loss, and resilience: The story of Chinese immigrant youth. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 55(1), 34-48.
- Frazier, S. L., Abdul-Adil, J., Atkins, M. S., Gathright, T., Jackson, M. (2007). Can't have one without the other: Mental health providers and community parents reducing barriers to services for families in urban poverty. Journal of Community Psychology, 35(4), 435-446.
- Developing Independence Through Teamwork
- I Got Very Determined
- Immersed in the Setting
- Sustainability is Not an Add-On
- Understanding Their Perspective
- School-Based Research: What's In It For Them?