J. Bruce Smith, MD, CIP
Dr. Smith's basic research focused on cell interactions in the immune response and aberrations of immune responses in cancer, autoimmune diseases, osteoarthritis, and in women experiencing recurrent unexplained miscarriages. Clinical research focused mainly on biological treatments for rheumatoid arthritis and for recurrent miscarriages. His bibliography includes 71 peer-reviewed original publications and 18 invited reviews and book chapters.
- Associate Vice President for Research, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Director, Office of Human Research and Director, Division of Human Subjects Protection, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- Professor of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- MD, 1965, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
- Artlett, C. M., Smith, J. B., & Jimenez, S. A. (1998). Identification of fetal DNA and cells in skin lesions from women with systemic sclerosis. New England Journal of Medicine, 338, 1186-1191.
- Artlett, C. M., Cox, L. A., Ramos, R. C., Denis, T. N., Fortunato, R. A., Hummers, L. K., Jimenez, S. A., Smith, & J. B. (2002). Increased microchimeric CD4+ T lymphocytes in peripheral blood from women with systemic sclerosis. Clinical Immunology, 103, 303-308.
- Haynes, M. K., Hume, E., & Smith, J. B. (2002). Phenotypic characterization of inflammatory cells from osteoarthritic synovium and synovial fluids. Clinical Immunology, 105, 315-325.
- Cox, L. A., Ramos, R. C., Dennis, T. N., Jimenez, S. A., Smith, J. B., & Artlett, C. A. (2003). Detection of microchimeric cells in the peripheral blood of non-pregnant women is enhanced by magnetic cell sorting prior to PCR. Clinical Chemistry, 49, 309-312.
- Parvizi, J., Tarity, D., Conner, K., Smith, J. B. (in press). Current concepts review: Institutional Review Board approval: Why it matters. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery.