Paul Stiles, JD, PhD
Dr. Stiles' research focuses on geriatric mental health services and policy, elder mental disability law, state mental health policy, and ethics in behavioral health services research. In addition to teaching courses on legal and ethical issues in aging, he conducts training on research ethics and chairs the University of South Florida's Conflict of Interest Committee. He also chaired the social-behavioral IRB for USF for almost six years. With NIH support, Dr. Stiles developed an intense course on research ethics as well as a series of modules on the ethical conduct of research. He has also focused on training undergraduates in research processes and ethics, including developing and implementing a 9-week summer Research Experience for Undergraduates with NSF funding.
- Associate Professor, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute Department of Mental Health Law & Policy, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program Coordinator, College of Behavioral & Community Sciences, Department of Mental Health Law & Policy, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- JD, 1989, Villanova Law School
- PhD, 1992, Hahnemann University, Clinical Psychology
- Stiles, P.G., & Petrila, J. (2011). Research and confidentiality: Legal issues and risk management strategies. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law. Advance online publication. doi:10.1037/a0022507
- Stiles, P.G., Boothroyd, R.A., Robst, J. & Ray, J.V. (2010). Ethically using administrative data in research: Medicaid administrators' current practices and best practice recommendations. Administration & Society. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0095399710390644
- Stiles, P., Epstein, M., Poythress, N. & Edens, J. (2011). Formal assessment of voluntariness using a three-part consent process. Psychiatric Services, 62, 87-89.
- Robst, J., Stiles, P. & Boothroyd, R. (2009). Establishing standards and practices for using administrative claims data. Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, 10(2), 19-38.
- Stiles, P.G., Boothroyd, R.A., Dhont, K., Beiler, P.F. & Green, A. (2009). Adherence to practice guidelines, clinical outcomes, and costs among Medicaid enrollees with severe mental illnesses. Evaluation & the Health Professions, 32, 69-89.