Stephanie O'Malley, PhD
Dr. O'Malley's research interests include smoking cessation and treatment of alcohol dependence. She is particularly interested in investigating connections between alcohol and smoking, individual differences that predict weight gain and smoking cessation outcomes, and the development of pharmacological treatments for alcohol dependence and for nicotine dependence.laboratory models to test pharmacotherapies. She is currently a PI in the Center for Nicotine and Tobacco Use Research (CENTURY) at Yale and previously chaired the steering committee for NIAAA's COMBINE Study of pharmacological and behavioral treatments for alcohol dependence. Contributor photo by Jerry Domian, Yale Academic Media and Technology Services.
- Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Division of Substance Abuse Research in Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- PhD, 1983, Vanderbilt University, Clinical Psychology
- Fucito, L., Toll, B., Wu, R., Romano, D., Tek, E., & O'Malley, S. (2011). A preliminary investigation of varenicline for heavy drinking smokers. Psychopharmacology, Published online January 11, 2011.
- Lori, A., Tang, Y., O'Malley, S., Picciotto, M.R., Wu, R., Conneely, K.N., & Cubells, J.F. (2011). The galanin receptor 1 gene associates with tobacco craving in smokers seeking cessation treatment. Neuropsychopharmacology, 36(7), 1412-1420.
- Capone, C., Kahler, C.W., Swift, R.M., O'Malley, S.S. (2011). Does family history of alcoholism moderate naltrexone's effects on alcohol use? Journal of Studies on Alchohol and Drugs, 72(1), 135-140.
- Longabaugh, R., Wirtz, P.W., Zywiak, W.H., & O'Malley, S.S. (2010). Network support as a prognostic indicator of drinking outcomes: The COMBINE study. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 71(6), 837-46.
- Greenfield, S.F., Pettinati, H.M., O'Malley, S., Randall, P.K., & Randall, C.L. (2010). Gender differences in alcohol treatment: an analysis of outcome from the COMBINE study. Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 34(10), 1803-12. doi:10.1111/j.1530-0277.2010.01267.x.
- Leeman, R.F., O'Malley, S.S., White, M.A., & McKee, S.A. (2010). Nicotine and food deprivation decrease the ability to resist smoking. Psychopharmacology (Berl), 212(1), 25-32.
- Gueorguieva, R., Wu, R., Donovan, D., Rounsaville, B.J., Couper, D., Krystal, J.H., & O'Malley, S.S. (2010). Baseline trajectories of drinking moderate acamprosate and naltrexone effects in the COMBINE study. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Published online December 8, 2010.