Brian Mittman, PhD
Dr. Mittman’s research interests include implementation science, healthcare quality improvement, and healthcare management. He has played a leadership role in numerous initiatives to develop and strengthen the fields of quality improvement research and implementation science in health. He convened the planning committee that launched the journal Implementation Science and serves as co-editor in chief of the journal. He was a founding member of the Institute of Medicine Forum on the Science of Quality Improvement and Implementation and past chair of the NIH study section on Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health, and he directed VA’s Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) from 2002-2004. He is currently a member of the Methodology Committee for the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) and a member of several national and international advisory boards in the field of implementation science.
- Director, VA Center for Implementation Practice and Research Support
- PhD, 1986, Stanford University, Organizational Behavior
- Mittman, B. S. (2011). Implementation science in health care. In Brownson, R., Colditz, G., & Proctor, E. (Eds.), Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Proctor, E. K., Landsverk, J., Aarons, G., Chambers, D., Glisson, C., & Mittman, B. (2009). Implementation research in mental health services: An emerging science with conceptual, methodological, and training challenges. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 36(1), 24-34.
- Stetler, C. B., McQueen, L., Demakis, J., & Mittman, B. S. (2008). An organizational framework and strategic implementation for system-level change to enhance research-based practice: QUERI Series. Implementation Science, 29(3), 30.
- Vickrey, B. G., Mittman, B. S., Connor, K. I., Pearson, M. L., Della Penna, R. D., Ganiats, T. G., ... Lee, M. (2006). The effect of a disease management intervention on quality and outcomes of dementia care. Annals of Internal Medicine, 145(10),713-726.
- A Non-Traditional Career Path in Implementation Science
- Funding for Implementation Research
- Implementation Science: A Key Journal for Implementation Researchers
- The Future of Implementation Science