Jasjit S. Ahluwalia, MD
Dr. Ahluwalia's career focus is on improving the health of high-risk populations, such as the underserved and ethnic minorities. In particular, he is interested in studying smoking and smoking cessation within the African American population. Dr. Ahluwalia encourages and actively participates in the mentoring process, and in 2009, he received the Herbert W. Nickens award for national leadership and research in improving minority health and mentoring of ethnic minority investigators.
- Director, Center for Health Equity, University of Minnesota
- MD, 1987, Tulane University
- MS, 1992, Harvard School of Public Health
- Thomas, J. L., Carmella, S. G., Balbo, S., Han, S., Guo, H., Murphy, S. E., An, L. C., Ahluwalia, J. S., & Hecht, S. S. (2011). Metabolites of a tobacco-specific lung carcinogen in children exposed to secondhand or thirdhand tobacco smoke in their homes. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention, 20, 1213-1221.
- Berg, C., Nehl, E., Sterling, K., Buchana, T., Narula, S., Sutfin, E., & Ahluwalia, J. S. (2011). The development and validation of a scale assessing individual schemas used in classifying a smoker: Implications for research and practice. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 13(12), 1257-1265.
- Nollen, N. L., Cox, L. S., Nazir, N., Ellerbeck, E. F., Owen, A., Pankey, S., . . . Ahluwalia, J. S. (2011). A pilot clinical trial of varenicline for smoking cessation in Black smokers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 13(9), 868-873.
- Berg, C. J., Thomas, J. L., Guo, H., Okuyemi, K., An, L. C., Collins, T. C., & Ahluwalia, J. S. (2010). Predictors of smoking reduction among African Americans. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 12, 423-431.
- Ahluwalia, J. S., Harris, K. J., Catley, D., Okuyemi, K., & Mayo, M. S. (2002). A comparison of sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation in African Americans. Journal of the American Medical Association, 288, 468-474.
- Clinical Trials with Ethnic Minorities
- Funding for Studies of Underserved Populations
- How to Be a Good Mentee
- NIH Funding for Prevention in Public Health
- Preventive Medicine Makes a Comeback
- The Benefits of Mentorship
- The Center Grant
- Working in Urban Communities